|The Grand Duchess Charlotte Bridge is a road bridge in Luxembourg City, in southern Luxembourg, also known as the Red Bridge on account of its distinctive red paintwork.It is the main route connecting the city centre, Ville Haute, to Kirchberg, the site of the city's European Union institutions. It was built with the intention of promoting the choice of Luxembourg as the final seat of the European Communities.
German architect Egon Jux designed the bridge, beating 68 competitors in a competition launched by Luxembourg's government in 1957. Construction began in 1962, with official groundbreaking on 20 June 1963 by Charlotte, then Grand Duchess. Construction was finished in 1965, and the bridge opened in October 1966.
The design depicts the Grand Duchess Charlotte Bridge (Pont Grande-Duchesse Charlotte) and, below, the date "1966". The effigy of His Royal Highness the Grand Duke Henri flanked on the left by the year of issue "2016" and below the inscription "LUXEMBOURG".
Issue date: 6 May 2016
Diameter - 25.75mm
Thickness - 2.2mm
Weight - 8.5gr
|Combination of the number 2 and ** repeated six times